Thursday, April 28, 2011

April Garden Update


There have been some good results, even though some things did not go so well. I had a couple of tomato plants that did not grow… at all. One just looked like it was committing suicide… some sort of beefsteak plant that was kind of stalky and stiff. It always felt too stiff, and I could not help but blame myself for over watering, or not watering enough, even though I am fairly certain that it was really about an unhealthy plant.


On the other side of this issue, the plant that is producing the most is also a tomato plant, which had seeded in my avocado tree pot throughout the winter. It has 16 tomatoes on it already, and is continuing to produce multiple new flowers. I don't know what kind of tomato plant it is, but it is likely from some store-bought, hybrid variety I tossed into my compost… usually these were Romas, but they do not have that classic Roma shape.



I recently brought home a red okra plant from the local farmer's market, which already has a couple of wine-colored okra-etts on it. I was told it will flourish in the summer months. I am not that completely fond of okra, but will make new friends with this vegetable if this plant produces well.


I have some green bean plants that have not even reached a foot tall and are already putting out tiny beans. I am afraid this is all they will do, and I laugh to myself as I imagine putting a meager serving of 10 or 12 miniature beans on my plate for a meal. I have so much to learn about growing some of these edibles.


A few of my pickling cucumbers are finally growing full ahead, and one is the champion as it puts out those delicate, lime-green feelers to grab onto my garden fence. I don't know why I am so amazed at its self climbing ability. I just look at it smiling, telling it what a good plant it is. There are baby cucumbers emerging all along it, with those sweet, yellow blooms attracting bees. I am in love.


Some other failures were those red cabbage plants that never grew. I was told by a local farmer that large home stores put growth inhibitors on their veggie plants so they last longer while waiting to be sold. Seems so backward, and certainly doesn't help an amateur gardener like myself. Fortunately, I bought most of my plants from local garden stores or seeded them myself.


My Brussel sprout plants (also from one of those large stores) finally took off a few weeks ago and are growing large green leaves. I am thinking that Brussel sprouts probably do not grow well in the summer months, especially in this climate, so I may just have this lovely, large, green-leaved plant and no veggies. Even so, it is rather satisfying to see something grow bigger. Kind of sad, though, or maybe pathetic on my part. I am like a desperate gardener… please grow… please.


Still, some of my favorite plants are the herbs. That curry plant is just heavenly. I run my fingers over the leaves and take in the spicy, Indian aroma. And the lavender plant… the scent is soft and dreamy. I have sage, borage (which has beautiful blue, star-flowers), parsley, rosemary, oregano, lemon thyme society garlic, purple and green basil and chocolate mint. The mint has already filled the pot it is in, and it keeps trying to send shoots over the edge. I have to maintain it, or it would take over the back yard by next month, but it does smell a lot like mint chocolate chip ice cream… mmmm.


By far, the most exciting thing is my avocado tree. It put out about 30 tiny avocados a few weeks ago and now there are about 10 growing larger - one about 3 inches long. I can hardly wait to taste one of these favorites after it has softened to the right moment for eating.


This tree stands about 5 feet tall, and is in a large red pot. I am concerned about putting it into the ground because of the hard freezes we have had the last two years. We bought it last year, and we were told it would not bear fruit until the following year. When I saw the tiny yellow flowers appear (some came in during that spell of 20 degree weather) I wondered if this was the beginning of the fruit process. I tell it I love it everyday. I actually adorn all of my plants with affection. Hope they are feeling the love, and continue to grow healthy and productive!



















No comments:

Post a Comment